beer and core matter

David Huntington huntington at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 26 15:57:22 CDT 2004

wrote:

> (are you really David or one WHO are hidden in this pseudonym?
> ;>))

I really am David, no one else in here. Unless, wait a minute, hey, God may
be in here too. But I can't... oh... damn that veil!

In all seriousness...

>to see if they could remember God.

I love this thought. To me it implies looking back to find the answer, not
forward. "Casting your net on the other side of the boat" as it were.

I did a little spelunking around in Objectivist thought after reading that
someone (Alan or Shrade, can't remember) avowed to this philosophy. Now I'm
paraphrasing, but from that viewpoint as I understood it, religion is what
got us by until we developed our Reason.

"Faith, as such, is extremely detrimental to human life: it is the negation
of reason. But you must remember that religion is an early form of
philosophy, that the first attempts to explain the universe, to give a
coherent frame of reference to man's life and a code of moral values, were
made by religion, before men graduated or developed enough to have
philosophy."
       - Ayn Rand

As if in the evolution of human understanding, religion was/is our training
wheels until we were able to fully comprehend ourselves as the true masters
of our destiny.

So to dovetail these line of thinking, God is back there somewhere. The
split comes from believing that God was either a fallacy or an ultimate
truth.

So, when staring down this fork in the road of thought, all I can really
know for sure it that it was totally transcendent to watch Pete smash a
guitar in Japan at the end of Listening to You. Did you guys see that shit?
It was posted on his web site. Bloody hell. Him releasing all that tension
and returning that Strat to back to its basic elements. Pass the collection
plate, brother.

David