Capitalism

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Sun Jul 25 22:43:46 CDT 2004

> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:09:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Marcus Surrealius <bushchoked at yahoo.com>
>
>> The immediate flaw in that allegation is that Wal-mart is nationally
>> known for its low prices
>
> People also believed the world was flat.

I'm not going to try to prove whether or not Wal-mart beats every
single competitor in every single city on every single item.  I don't
know whether they do or not, nor do I believe that you know either.  I
simply note that all of them around here usually have a hefty number of
cars in their parking lots, patronized by a notoriously price-sensitive
clientele.

> Wal-Mart raises the prices after the competition is gone.

> In fact, Wal-Mart is the Antichrist Superstore. The prototype for the
> huge conglomerate mentality that is killing the individuality of
> American retail.

With the full approval of the American customer, apparently, as voted
by their dollars. this is a crucial pint which seems to mean nothing to
you.

> To shop in a Wal-Mart is to further degrade the American Dream.

And in this great country, you're free to try to convince their
customers of that.  Careful you don't block the entrance while handing
out your flyers, I'd hate to see you trampled.

> They've also influenced local governments to use emminent domain to
> steal land from owners who don't want to sell, in order to build new
> stores.

Eminent domain is an immoral abomination, and should be eliminated,
period.  Until and unless you're willing to join me in that statement,
you don't have a leg to stand on when corporations take advantage of it
right along with government.  The rationale given by Wal-mart is that
they will generate more tax revenue for the government than will the
businesses that are on the plot of land in question.  If government
agrees, it's in the *government's* interest to exercise eminent domain
for Wal-mart.  Your blaming the business instead of the law that makes
the rights violation possible indicates some single-track thinking.

>>  [Outsourcing] is an election-year issue good for many votes from the
>> uninformed, but not a real problem.
>
> You mean the "uninformed" like my wife, whose corp
> moved overseas two years ago forcing her to take a job
> making $12k less? Or the "uninformed" in the nearby
> town of Georgetown SC who lost their jobs when the
> steel mill moved overseas?

I mean them, if you'll read my sentence, if they become single-issue
voters who think outsourcing is a national crisis.  As to the
individual cases, I'm sorry they had to go to the trouble of finding a
new job, but that doesn't invalidate my statement that this is not a
national crisis (which, after all, was merely a quote from the
impeccably Democrat economist James Galbraith).

> Amazing how some people get caught up in stats and lose sight of
> reality.

And how some people think citing a personal story falsifies a fact.

Cheers,
Alan
Townshend, 1967