The Who's reputation

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Fri Jul 23 17:49:08 CDT 2004

> I think spiritual is the ideal word to use, but for some reason we're
> trying to bend it to mean something else.

Yeah, let's just keep using it instead of trying to come up with something
else.  It's different for each individual.  It's something that taps into one's
worldview & beliefs about the universe.  We're doing OK examining Pete's
works, I think.  And we all have a pretty good idea as to what spirituality
means to Pete.  And each other, for the most part.

I just wanted to let everyone know that spirituality *does not* have to
coincide with religion or supernaturalism.  In my secular humanist readings
I've encountered many authors who speak of spiritual moments.  *I've*
had them.

And I don't mean like just gazing up at the stars & thinking, "Wow, those
are pretty."  I'm talking deep, profound, my-place-in-the-universe kind
of thoughts & emotions.  You *can* have those without God.  Without
religion.

Here's a rather spiritual quote regarding science:

"Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the
cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh
air brings vigor, & the great spaces have a splendor of their own."
  - Bertrand Russell

- SCHRADE in Akron

John Kerry For President
http://www.johnkerry.com/