All Sorts of Things

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Fri Jul 23 17:32:33 CDT 2004

> > I agree.  I don't see Jimmy as being on some kind of spiritual search.
> > His world is collapsing around him.  He's dealing with the immediacy of
> > *that* problem in QUAD.
>
> How IS he to deal with it, though?

Now you're projecting beyond the art.  You're wondering if Jimmy, some
where down the line, eventually seeks out spiritual fulfillment.  Pete doesn't
tell us.  Within the body of work, Jimmy is *not* on a spiritual hunt.  He's
hunting birds, pills, rockers, money, drinks, & a good party.  But not spirit-
ual fulfillment.

> Whose love?  Not Steph's, I'd guess.

"Drowned" is like a spiritual anomaly in the piece.  Maybe drown refers
to booze.  SECRET POLICEMAN'S BALL has Pete singing "Give me
wine, let me drown."

> Hmmm.  I don't know that I agree.  Water in general is about cleansing.

Yeah, water has so many meanings as an image.  As we well know.

> I consider this one of Pete's cynical works, BTW.  ;)

What, QUAD?  Not me.  It's a snapshot of reality that allows some to
better come to terms with the fucked up shit they might be going through.
QUAD is psychological medicine.

- SCHRADE in Akron

John Kerry For President
http://www.johnkerry.com/