Roger's upcoming charity gigs

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 22:26:31 CDT 2004

John Hughes gave us the heads up on this, but here's more information,
including how to get tickets.

http://www.totallyjewish.com/news/stories/?disp_type=0&disp_story=AuZtar

Desmond's Charity Gig
by Jeremy Last - Jul 22

Media mogul Richard Desmond is set to perform with an all-star line up of
rock legends to raise funds for Norwood.

Describing the welfare charity's work as “fantastic”, Desmond told TJ on
Wednesday: “I really like the charity and when I gave a donation they asked
me if I would host cocktail parties. I thought that would be a bit dull and
it would be more fun to put on a concert.”

With the Express newspapers owner on the drums, the supergroup will include
Who front man Roger Daltrey, Gary Moore from Thin Lizzy and Greg Lake from
Emerson Lake and Palmer.

They will be jamming at two west end gigs later this year in aid of Norwood
and the teenage cancer trust.

The money raised at the performance will be used to help pay for Norwood’s
new £16m home to be built in Hertfordshire.

Desmond, a member of the Liberal Jewish Synagogue in St John’s Wood, has
been involved with the charity for more than 20 years.

He said: “I have visited the Ravenswood village many times. I like the
people there very much and like the way they look after the people I think
the concept of Ravenswood village is fantastic.”

Last year Desmond performed with Daltry, Townsend and Lake at a similar
concert at jazz club Ronnie Scotts. The event raised more than £400,000 for
the teenage cancer trust and Desmond hopes to raise a similar amount for
Norwood.

The 52-year-old’s long-time interest in music led him to launch his first
magazine International Musician in 1974.

Norwood chief executive Norma Brier said: “We're delighted and indebted to
Richard Desmond and Richard Loftus for extending their generous support to
Norwood and hosting this special concert.

“It’s a wonderful gesture by both men and I am sure that it will be a
memorable evening which will raise vital funds for the building our
state-of-the-art new school for children with profound learning
disabilities, which is due to be open in 2006.”

Tickets for the concert cost £750, including a fully kosher meal, and are
available from Norwood by calling 020 8420 6856 or emailing
theconcert at express.co.uk.