Let's not confuse things...

Tom Fency tomfency at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 13:44:32 CDT 2004

I'm an economist. Well, I've used to be in my country of origin (I'm an
immigrant, right Keets? ;-).
Although free market system is the foundation of Capitalism, there are some
misconceptions when one is equalized with another. A pure free market system
means that no firm can affect price with his production (all firms are
price-taker). But in nowadays Capitalism the rule in competition form is the
oligopoly or the monopoly. The firm is price-maker and direct demand through
marketing strategies, product differentiation and other policies. And, in
nowadays Capitalism, the State or the Government is also a key factor for
the well behavior of the economy. The State determinate the interest tax by
its central bank (in USA, the FED) and regulates the demand by its
expenditures, like military expenditures that here in America are huge, very
huge (how many employs and profit that public consumption of weapons
generate, do you know?). The nowadays Capitalism is, in some thought
schools, named as Monopolic Capitalism of State, considering how intricate
is the relationship between the large corporations and the State itself,
including foreign involvement in countries responsible for strategic
commodities -- like oil, for instance. This story goes on and on and on, but
let me finish it by now.

Tom