The Who's reputation

Jim M NakedI at comcast.net
Fri Jul 23 08:40:57 CDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "L. Bird"

> >>I think it's the ideal word, too.  I just think it IS ideal because it's
> >>very general word that covers a broad array of feelings not necessarily
> >>related to Christianity or even to a Christian type of God.
>
> >Is there someone here that you think doesn't get that?
>
> Aren't you questioning the general usage of it below?

I'm questioning why every time someone mentions god, you feel the need to
point out that god is not exclusively Christian. I think we all know that.

> Then how are secular humanists to discuss their spiritual feelings?  I
agree
> that spiritual isn't just observational.  The spiritual capacity is
> something that's wired into the human brian, and it doesn't go away when
> someone intellectually rejects something as supernatural.

I don't think they have spiritual feelings.  I think they have deep,
profound, wonderful feelings that are purely non-spiritual.  This is exactly
what I mean by bending word meanings so that no one feels left out.  This is
nothing against anyone's thoughts or beliefs.  I'm just standing up for the
meaning of a word.

> I agree.  The way we live tends to remove us from nature, and we begin to
> see the world as man-made and to lose touch with our origins, and with
> matters of the spirit.

That's true, but not what I meant.  "Nature" is only spiritual if you assign
a persona or conciousness to it.  I.e., cultures that worship Nature and
treat it like a deity.

> Hmmm.  How did we get into this discussion?  Maybe it's necessary to
clairfy
> why it is that I see spirituality in some of Pete's songs that Mark
doesn't
> see at all.

Or why you couldn't see any in Bargain.

> Is that why we're dicussing definitions?  Does Pete have to mention the
> divine or supernatural in order to write a spiritual song?  Or does he
only
> have to arouse spiritual feelings in the listener?

I'll never argue with anyone about what they feel when they listen to a
song.  But, there's plenty of room for debate about what Pete intended.

Jim M