The Who Mailing List Digest, V11 #195

David Huntington huntington at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 21 12:21:57 CDT 2004

wrote:

> Regardless of whether there was any government pressure, I'm personally
> concerned about a radio station monopoly that tries to dictate the politics
> of artists it plays.  You might make a case that employees represent their
> employers and might be terminated for saying things that reflect poorly
> (e.g. Ronstadt, Goldberg), but I think Clear Channel is asking for an
> anti-trust suit with its attempt to control The Dixie Chicks.

Quick thoughts here.
1) The Government is not directly responsible for what happened.
2) A company (or an artist) should have the right to conduct it's business
anyway it wants, including a decision to not associate with each other exept
by contractual obligation. Why? Because if that company's (or artist's)
decision pisses off its customers, they can take their money elsehwere.

But what if customers have no other choice? There's the crime my friends.
This administration appears to be no friend to the capitalist spirit, which
to me is built on the freedom of choice by consumers, not freedom of choice
to control the market. Who's freedom should be protected?

That's one of the themes in Lifehouse see? Total control of experience must
be rebelled against. (just keeping my foot on base there)

David