censorship

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Tue Jul 20 20:56:37 CDT 2004

In a message dated 7/20/2004 10:08:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
thewho-request at igtc.com writes:

> There were
> some networks that complained about having to play a guessing game with the
> FCC, as apparently no new guidelines have been defined.  Paradoxically,
> Howard Stern and Clear Channel (both high-profile supporters of the
> administration) have been heavily fined.  Viacom/CBS apparently means to
> fight the FCC in court about Janet Jackson rather than pay.
>
> Notice this uncertainly about "obscenity" has also affected The Who, as
> their record company issued the "official" lyrics to RGLB with a fairly
> obvious substitution of words.

I have to agree with the arbitrary FCC behavior, but Stern was fined just as
heavily during Clinton- more than once having to go to court over fines in
excess of a million dollars for jokes such as the description of a guy playing
piano with his "member."  It seems Mike Powell at the FCC (appointed by Clinton)
is responding to increased complaints from busy-body activist groups, and I
would LOVE to argue for Stern and company over lack of proper notice of what is
and is not against the law.

All the other conjecture about the government holding Clear Channel hostage
unless they stop playing the Dixie Chicks is just that- conjecture.  And the
fact that Clear Channel didn't get what they wanted should speak volumes.
However, my comment on Elton was that the baclashes he referred to over artists
speaking out against the war has been from non-government sources.  I actually
have no problem with the Dixie Chicks speaking their minds as long as they don't
do it on foreign soil.  It's like athletes bad-mouthing teammates outside the
lockerroom.  It's just a crappy thing to do.

Mc