Bargain

David Huntington huntington at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 20 10:42:43 CDT 2004

I think a proper perspective on Bargain is to put it in context of the
project of which it was part - Lifehouse.

The central theme is the pursuit of the "one note." Interpreting the one
note can be a debate unto itself. It could be the magical transcendent
moment in a concert, Who concert in particular, where the vibrations are so
intense that everyone in the place is "in tune" with each other. (sentiment
borrowed from Pete quotes.)

The extension is that maybe this is God. Maybe it's the core matter of the
universe. The story leaves it a little up in the air as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I interpret the "you" in Bargain as the "One Note". It is sung by a
character (Bobby? Ray?) who is on this quest. The language of the lines
"losing me to find you", "one and one make one", "naked, stoned and stabbed"
are direct lifts of Christian thought from the Bible. One who was more
scholarly in Christianity pointed this out to me, so I can't cite passages
directly.

But it is part of a story is all I'm pointing out. That much should be a
little more accessible than direct theological interpretations of that
story's author.

David