The Who's reputation

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 23:12:39 CDT 2004

>Don't forget, this was in the 80's and Pete was a part of the "new
>romantics" scene for a minute or two.

So you don't think that "dressed to kill" has any significance when added to
"Come on, join the party"?  Like maybe, this isn't a real fun party to go
to?

>>Sure.  So you think this is a call for democratic
>values?

>No, just saying "be yourself and enjoy it." I don't think it had anything
>to do with rich or poor.

So EF is upbeat and romantic but not spiritual?

>>Which of Pete's earlier songs do you think are more spiritual and
>>uplifting, as opposed to these later ones?

>No, I'm tempted to go for the easy ones...like Bargain as opposed to
>Squeeze Box. Someone else should pick.

I'm fine with Bargain.  This appears to be a song about being in love.  Why
do you think it's especially spiritual and/or uplifting?

I'd gladly lose me to find you
I'd gladly give up all I had
To find you I'd suffer anything and be glad

I'd pay any price just to get you
I'd work all my life and I will
To win you I'd stand naked, stoned and stabbed

I'd call that a bargain
The best I ever had
The best I ever had

I'd gladly lose me to find you
I'd gladly give up all I got
To catch you I'm gonna run and never stop

I'd pay any price just to win you
Surrender my good life for bad
To find you I'm gonna drown an unsung man

I'd call that a bargain
The best I ever had
The best I ever had

I sit looking 'round
I look at my face in the mirror
I know I'm worth nothing without you
And like one and one don't make two
One and one make one
And I'm looking for that free ride to me
I'm looking for you

I'd gladly lose me to find you
I'd gladly give up all I got
To catch you I'm gonna run and never stop

I'd pay any price just to win you
Surrender my good life for bad
To find you I'm gonna drown an unsung man

I'd call that a bargain
The best I ever had
The best I ever had

keets