That big wheel

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 09:26:42 CDT 2004

The reason for using metaphor is to invoke extra meanings.  Pete could have
just said "time is passing" and "lucky guys and gals."  The fact that he
uses Fortune's wheel and "fucks" and "angels" brings up different visions
and therefore different interpretations.  "Angels" corresponds with his
later mention of God.  What I'm arguing is that these extra meaning are what
give the songs a spiritual quality.

If you want to talk about the quality of his metaphoric choices, that's
something else.  It's hard to put together something that sounds fresh and
new from tired, cliched metaphors, but I think he's done it pretty well with
these songs.  When he was starting out as a songwriter, there were fewer
cliches in rock.  Now even "My Generation" is a cliche.

I DO think that Pete scatters his metaphors too much.  If I were doing it,
then one would build on the other to nail down a particluar meaning, but
Pete is a modernist and therefore he has something of a shotgun technique
with his images without requiring any resolution.

keets

>>Fact is a turning wheel or thinning hair are just two clichéd metaphors
>>for passing of time.

>Time Is Passing?  ;-)

>>I also like the song,
>but this line doesn't deserve this kind of dissection.

>I also think the meaning of the lyrics of "Lucky fucks and angels" is being
stretched...
Angels is simply the "in crowd" girls.  The hotties.  Pete's been staring at
his Victoria Secret catalog too much.
And the "lucky fucks" are those blokes that were lucky enough to be able to
get in the angels pants (so to speak).
It's about being cool enough to run with the "cool crowd."

>Angels is one of the most overused terms in rock.
It rarely, if ever, has anything to do with spirituality.