Love this one ;)

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 09:01:19 CDT 2004

>>Make me of shit in a two-teenier deal

>Haaa.  Spell check's got a problem with "tenner", I see.  Was it an
itsier-bitsier, teenier-weenier deal?

Not mine.  I don't spellcheck.  ;)  (Can't you tell?)

>But, are you suggesting Make Me Real is spiritual?  I'd say it's all about
celebrity.  If this is spiritual, then Pete's comparing his situation,
having fans who think they *know* him, with God's.  I don't think he'd do
that.  Plus the lyrics just don't fit.  God's heart is freely available to
those who love him and he has sympathy for everyone, in just about any
belief system Pete might be referring to.

No, I don't think this song is particularly spiritual.  It's hard to follow
PD from just the lyrics, but it's the piece about pedophilia that dropped a
lot of jaws last year.  I was just skimming down through the lyrics and this

one popped out at me.

We're gotten away from the "uplifting" part of Mark's comment, but look back

at these and you'll see there's not much idealism left in Pete at this
stage.  It's as if he's lost his faith, or is questioning it as his life
progresses.  Perhaps that's another reason he's felt he couldn't write for
The Who.  Roger is so strongly positive that he might reject a lot of these
songs.

Here's another (an outtake from PD?) where he says the devil wins.

UNEASY STREET

On Easy St last night
The devil offered me a deal
He said, come on and take what you'd like,
And later tell me how you feel
So I looked up all around
On this uneasy street
I'd have been happy if I had found
Something simple to eat
But just as he asked me Maureen walked past
I said, Mr. Devil, she is so refined.
He said, I tricked you little brother
I tricked you little brother
That tricky little mother is mine.

I wish I was as good as I look
I wish I was that good
I wish I was as good as I look
Wish I could be that good

It was too late for me
I'd just set eyes on my heart's ideal
I was in ecstasy I was up and ready to steal
So I looked up all around on this uneasy street
I kept on looking until I found the prints of my beloved's feet
I kept up the chase 'til I looked right in her face
I said, My darling you have angel's eyes
She said to this little brother
You knew little brother
This is just his still mother's disguise
I wish I was as good as I look
I wish I was that good
I wish I was as good as I look wish I could be that good

I just could not believe someone so beautiful could not be pure
I prayed for some reprieve I had to save her from the Devil's lure
But I guess the Devil was bound to win
On this uneasy street
I had to know what was beneath her skin
I had to face up to the Devil's heat
But I didn't have to ask
She just took off her mask
In a second it was clear to see
He said, I tricked you little brother
I tricked you little brother
This tricky little mother...is me.
Is me
Is me

I wish I was as good as I look I wish I was that good
I wish I was as good as I look wish I could be that good
I tricked you little brother.
  yeah yeah
I tricked you little brother

keets