Old age angst...

O'Neal, Kevin W. Kevin.ONeal at vtmednet.org
Thu Jul 15 11:10:41 CDT 2004

>David Huntington
>The Who Mailing List Digest, V11 #185
>
>Who else could write this but but the master of Rock angst himself now
>staring at a 60 year-old man in the mirror.

Just wanted to chime in that I've really enjoyed reading this
interaction.
While I'm sure Scott might have a scientific explanation, what can't be
denied is that some people *do* have the capacity for experiencing
"sweet, sweet, sweet love", and some don't.
Is that nature, or nurture??
Ahhhh, the blessed endless debate.

What strikes me is the notion that a 60 year-old man looking in the
mirror arguably has more angst than a teen.
Hold on to your hats people, just when you get all comfortable with
yourselves, you start to age and face the ultimate conclusion.  That's a
BIG thing to face.  I'm currently dealing with an 84 yo father who was
always a very "hard" and prideful man.  To watch him self-impose
humility (really doesn't have a choice) is pretty sobering.
Life is going to get mighty strange.
In a way, I *do* hope I die before I get too damn old.
We will all be so insignificant soon.
We will lose respect.
No one will take us seriously.
It can be damn frightening and quite depressing too.

I love Pete for letting us know that it's ok to still be thinking about
our past.  That we shouldn't ever get soooo cool to think that our past
insecurities were irrelevant and shouldn't continue to be explored and
understood.

The only way to come to grips with the present and the future, is to
understand and come to grips with your past.
A work in progress....until the day.....<wait for it>....you die.

Quad lives....
Kevin in VT

Confidentiality Notice: