drama and attack

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 14 22:51:33 CDT 2004

>I already sent him an e-mail stating my intent to be apolitical here from
>now on.  Of course I could just make my signature a political comment
>everyday, but that's kind of a sleazy, back door way around the rules.

<sigh>  I don't think it's the politics that's the problem; it's the
interpersonal relations.  Any meaningful discussion seems to degenerate into
name-calling just lately.

I don't know that Paul has any particular rules against talk that veers into
politics or religion.  He's asked us to leave off other subjects in the past
that seemed to get too sensitive.  The tolerant, open format that he favors
makes this an excellent list for in-depth type discussion and allows a broad
range of listers to give their honest opinions on The Who, their music, and
etc.  IGTC  is the best list I currently belong to (out of a bunch) for talk
about important issues.

However, there are some things about the list that are unsettling.  For one
thing, Brian Cady says he doesn't post here because of the politics threads,
but I notice he's sounding very political on Relayers without seeming to
have any problem with it.  That suggests there's something else going on,
right?  For another thing, some listers have reported getting abusive
messages in their private email, the latest one being Jo.  Maybe people
leave the list because they don't like to read about the personal attacks
and name calling.

If we could all be a bit more polite, then we could deal with sensitive
subjects; and if we can't reach agreement, then we can agree to differ.
That way we wouldn't have to smolder in silence after Paul breaks in.

What do you guys think?  Is there any possible way this could work?

keets