Press discovers WGFA spat

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 10 11:44:17 CDT 2004

http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/2004/07/10/story156387.html

Townshend fuming over Fahrenheit row

Rock legend Pete Townshend has launched a scathing attack at film-maker
Michael Moore, saying he has been "bullied and slurred" by the director.

Last year, the Stupid White Men author Moore approached the The Who
guitarist to ask the star permission to use his song Won't Get Fooed Again
in his controversial documentary Fahrenheit 9/11, which criticises George
Bush's administration.

Townshend refused to let the Oscar-winning director use the song, because
the rocker didn't enjoy Moore's previous films Bowling for Columbine and
Roger and Me.

Townshend fumes: "Michael Moore has been making some claims, using my name,
which distort the truth.

"I greatly resent being bullied and slurred by him just because he didn't
get what we wanted from me. It seems to me that this aspect of his nature is
not unlike that of the powerful
and willful man at the centre of his documentary.

"He says that I refused to allow him to use my song Won't Get Fooled Again
in his latest film because I support the war. I have never hidden the fact
that at the beginning of the war in Iraq, I was a supporter. But now I am
less sure we did the right thing.

"I had not really been convinced by Bowling For Columbine and had been
worried about its accuracy. To me, it felt like a bullying film. Once I had
an idea what Fahrenheit 9/11 was about, I was 90 per cent certain my song
was not right for them and pointed out that Won't Get Fooled Again is not an
unconditionally anti-war song."