comments on Sroundtable's comments

Tim Ballou iluvawnings at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 9 12:31:29 CDT 2004

I forced myself to not respond to the conservative-bashing posts, even
though I had a response written out in my head.  I figured, why add fuel
to this fire when we should be talking about Who-fire instead.

And then, I read Sroundtable's comments.  I was going to e-mail him
privately, but decided to publicly declare my affirmation of his
viewpoint.  This way I get to repost some of his wise analysis again (see
below).  I couldn't have communicated it any better.  Sroundtable hit the
nail on the head.  Ditto!  And I don't mean that as any kind of
sympathetic nod to Limbaugh.  Believe it or not, I'm a conservative
thinking guy who hates Rush.  That's right, not all Republicans are
Ditto-heads!

I also hate country music, I think the filthy rich should pay more taxes,
I'm skeptical of faith-based government programs, and I think Michael
Moron has every right to get his film in as many theaters as possible, and
to make a gazillion dollars from movie-goers worldwide.

It is so hard to discern truth these days in what you read or see.  The
only truth I can hold on to with 100% conviction is that the name-calling,
pigeon-holing wackos on the right and on the left -- are birds of a
feather.  They would never admit it, for their blinders are glued on too
tight, but they have much in common.  And they do more damage than good.

Another sad truth that I see is that these wacko lefty/righty birds are
the ones that make the headlines and get their soundbites on TV.  This
only adds volume to their voices and helps perpetuate the stereotypes.

It's just too easy for journalists to focus on the "No war for oil" and
"censor Fahrenheit 911" contingencies.  It takes too much valuable time to
dig deeper in the gray areas.  And there are many.

Face it -- most people want the big bang.  The Hollywood blockbuster with
lots of special effects.  A good sex scene.  The song with the catchy
melody.  A guitar smashed on stage.  A screaming "impeach Bush" audio
clip.  Or a front-page photo of an Iraqui prisoner wearing a dog collar.
If only life were that simple.