British PM and no confidence

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Thu Jul 8 21:36:38 CDT 2004

In a message dated 7/8/2004 8:06:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
thewho-request at igtc.com writes:

> >In England when a PM has lost favor, his own party makes a vote of no
> >confidence and seeks to replce him by running in Parliamentary elections
> under a new
> >party leader.
>
> As I understand it, a parliamentary motion of no confidence would bring down
> the government and force a general election, if it passed.  But, it's been 7
> years since I lived in England, so it's all a bit fuzzy now.  If a PM has
> become unpopular he may face opposition as party leader from within his
> party, as happened with Thatcher (who then resigned) and Major (who I
> believe survived the challenge).  Regardless, I don't think the party could
> distance itself from its Iraq policy by changing leaders.

Jim:

You are correct about the vote of no confidence.  That's what I meant when I
said the party would run under a new leader in Parliamentary elections.  My
point was simply that there were alternatives to Blair other than the other
parties.  In fact, there is a VERY large portion of his party that is furious with
him and want him replaced.  However, I think they fear losing their control
of Parliament.

Mc