T&N & Who's more British

Marcus Surrealius bushchoked at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 13:42:58 CDT 2004

> I'm expecting that RGLB, at least, will be on the
new album, as it seems to
follow the announced theme of The Boy Who Heard Music.

Keets:

If that's the album Pete is planning, then I guess it
would have to be. In that case, it might be
rerecorded. For surely such an album would be more
musically complex, as Pete's other concept projects
have been (except for Tommy, and he planned to do more
with it).

> ORW I'm not so sure of.

And then there's Cardiff Rose, the Daltrey song.

> Music was part of a larger social change in those
days

It's true, but nothing swayed the US public more than
the pictures of Viet Nam every night on the news. So
again I contend that a picture is worth a thousand
guitar licks.

> Do you mind briefly running down your opinion again?

Briefly: they sound (to me) like filler tracks from
It's Hard, or Daltrey solo songs from the Parting
Should Be Painless. Also more like a demo than a
finished song, they're very sparse. I like ORW better
of the two. And I'll add now that I find RGLB to be a
bit awkward in its transition from the "Can't Help"
section to "And now I'm here with you little
darling..." There needs to be something there...what,
I can't say. It just needs something.

> Wrong!

Lew:

(GASP!)

> Jimmy is the universal adolescent going through
*every man/woman's* growing pains.

That's true, although I'd say more man than woman's.
But his approach is uniquely British, he's a Mod
riding a scooter on pills. American boys of that
timeperiod were surfers riding boards getting drunk.
"Catch a wave and you're sitting on top of the
world..."

"The important question is, How many hands have I
shaked?"
    George "shakin' all over" Bush

=====
Cheers         ML