Tripe Faced Boogie

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 22:26:42 CDT 2004

>I agree that Athena is saved by the lyrics,

I like the lyrics, but I can hardly stand to listen to it for some reason.
The tune cloyed really fast.  Whew--as bad as "Squeezebox"!   :P   However,
it would be interesting to hear what they'd do with it live.  A bit more
instrumentation wouldn't hurt some of the songs on IT'S HARD.

>but I have always hated YBYB until I heard it live.

I didn't quite HATE it, but I had no respect for it until I heard it live.

>Speaking of live, I don't agree that all Who songs sound better live. I
>think that may have been true for the songs up through "Tommy" for the most
>part (especially because of Kit's production), but after that I think the
>studio versions are all extraordinary...at least until Keith died. However,
>I don't think I've heard a really extraordinary live version of "Another
>Tricky Day", but then I don't have all the Encore CD's.

The live concert experience has a lot to do with how the songs are
perceived.  I remember thinking "Bargain" was such a great song when they
were playing it at the shows, but when I heard the replay, Roger was clearly
off key.  Didn't matter a whit during the show--it was a terrific song.  You
just can't get the atmospheric sound on that cd.

keets