WGFA vs. Rockin' in the Free World

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 21:01:11 CDT 2004

Repost from TheShout:

>Extract from filmlinc.com/fcm/online/fahr911interview.htm

At the end of the film Bush says "Fool me once, shame on… me. I won't get
fooled again." Clearly that moment demands that we hear Roger Daltrey
scream, "Won't get fooled again!" That's how I had it cut. Pete Townsend
blocked it, would not allow the song to be used. Word came to us that he is
not a fan of Michael Moore's and in fact supports the war and supports Tony
Blair and doesn't want the song used in any way that would make Blair look
bad. Harvey personally made an appeal to him to reconsider. And he wouldn't.
At that point, we're about a week away from going to Cannes. So, I
remembered while I was driving in Michigan "Rockin' in the Free World" came
on the radio and I thought this would be a cool song to have in the movie.
So we said, "Let's see how this works," and it worked perfectly. Called up
Neil Young and he said, "Whatever you need. Absolutely. It's yours." Once we
started playing it in the movie, we quickly forgot about The Who. In fact,
after Cannes, we got a call from their manager who said they might be
willing to reconsider. And I said, "No, uh uh. That's bad karma. This is
Neil Young's moment." People leave the theaters, that's what I want them
hearing. In fact I don't want them hearing a song that has the line, "Meet
the new boss, same as the old boss." Because the new boss I sincerely hope
won't be the same as the old boss. I don't want that song. It gave me a
chance to have a line at the end too, cause you can't go right into "Rockin'
in the Free World." So I get to say "For once I agree with Bush…we won't get
fooled again."