Where's the bass?

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 5 22:09:00 CDT 2004

Okay, let me see if I can sort this question out.  Take 2:

Some guys on alt.music.who were comparing the 2004 Encore cds to the 2002
batch and saying 2004 has better sound.  One of them says," Sound is great
on this disk- Roger sounds awesome and up front, Pete is incredible. And
yes, you can actually hear the bass (unlike at the show)."

What attracted my attention was that he says he hears more bass on the cd
than at the show.  After thinking about this a bit, I don't think it was the
Encore cds Pete made the bass comment about, but some other cd release,
maybe the second disk of Live at Leeds.  Pete's comment was that there was
always more bass at the shows than on the cds because much of John's bass
sound was from the stage and never went through the soundboard to be
recorded.

I thought the Encore disks were unmixed, just what goes through the
soundboard and out through the PA.  So how is more of Pino's sound ending up
on the cds than people hear through the PA?  Is this a difference in his
bass rig?  Or just where this guy was sitting at the show?

keets

>>With John on bass, there was more bass sound at the shows than on the cds.

>But they were different CDs.  Were these comments about bootleg or official
releases (where the sound is re-mixed).  John didn't play on any of these
Encore soundboard releases, right?