Where's the bass?

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 2 09:51:10 CDT 2004

>>With John on bass, there was more bass sound at the shows than on the cds.

>But they were different CDs.  Were these comments about bootleg or official
releases (where the sound is re-mixed).  John didn't play on any of these
Encore soundboard releases, right?

As I understood the comments, we're talking about the 2002 Encore disks vs.
the 2004 disks.  John played on the 2002 disks, of course, and I believe it
was Pete who explained that the disks were unmixed, and that there was more
bass at the shows because some of John's sound didn't come through the
PA--it came from the stage.

>>Now, folks are reporting more bass on the cds than at the shows.  What
gives?

>There absolutely is on this Mansfield disc.  Not that the bass is loud on
the disc, just a little more noticeable.  At the show it was actually
difficult to hear the MG bass runs.

I was at the MSG show, and I thought there was more bass there, too.
Actually, it sort of built up during the 2002 shows so it was better at the
end of the tour than at the beginning.

>>Is it just that the folks who are up front are used to hearing John from
the  stage and now Pino is coming through the PA?

>Well, I was in the middle third of the seating, a little bit forward and
right of center.  If I couldn't hear the bass from where I was, neither
could 80% of the house.  But then, you know what?  The whole show wasn't
that loud.  I hadn't been to a show in a long time, but this was definitely
not as loud as they used to be.  Having said that, I had no trouble hearing
Pete, Roger, Zak, Rabbit and even Simon's strummings.  Roger's guitar on EF
was loud, by comparison.  The only one that was hard to distinguish was
Pino.

But he's more audible on the cds, so I was wondering why.  If they're what
goes through the soundboard, then the difference would be the sound coming
from the stage and not going through the soundboard, right?

That business of piping sound through the PA is newfangled tech, you know.
Back when these bands got their start, all the had was the amps, and John
still used his a lot.

>PS I've just noticed that your e-mail must mean "parakeets", 'cause your
name is Bird.  Talk about sloooooow.  I always wondered, why do they call
her "keets"?  Duh!

Heheh.  The whole thing is a joke, because my name isn't really Bird.  It's
a noisy little (Who) bird (girl), right?   It's just a screen name.  I
signed onto O&S with my real name the first time, and afterward decided that
was a bad idea.

keets