Pete's Site Announces CBE

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 31 08:49:25 CST 2004

http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/projects/thewho/main/diary/display.cfm?id=248&zone=news

Roger receives a CBE

Roger has been awarded a CBE (Commander of the British Empire) in the New
Years Honours list. The annual honours are given by the government and Royal
family to people who have given something back to the country usually either
through their industry or charity.

Congratulations Rog, it's well deserved.

A report in the Scotsman newspaper reports:

"Look Who has been made a CBE

ROGER Daltrey, the flamboyant rock icon who sang on Who classics such as My
Generation and Pinball Wizard, received a CBE yesterday for his services to
music, the entertainment industry and charity.

Daltrey, 60, who is a patron of the Teenage Cancer Trust, said it was
"really great to be honoured by my country". The singer has raised more than
2 million pounds for the charity by organising concerts at the Royal Albert
Hall.

A trust spokeswoman said: "Roger is the most amazing spokesperson for the
charity and has helped so many young people. He became involved with the
trust because a lot of The Who's success was down to teenagers supporting
the band, and he wanted to give something back to them."

Daltrey and guitarist Pete Townshend are the only surviving members of the
original Who line-up. Keith Moon, the drummer, died in 1978 and bassist John
Entwistle died in 2002 on the eve of a United States tour. "

Matt