Roger CBE

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 20:50:10 CST 2004

Repost from TheShout:

www.theherald.co.uk/news/30650.html

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4135701.stm

ROGER Daltrey, the rock icon, is today among a number of high-profile
figures from the world of music and entertainment to be honoured.
Daltrey, the former frontman of The Who, is joined in the honours list by
Pete Waterman, the producer, pop svengali and X–Factor pundit, veteran
actors Eric Sykes and Anna Massey, Tom Wilkinson, of Full Monty fame, and
the television sitcom star Geoffrey Palmer.
Ray Cooney, author of many Whitehall farces, and John Sullivan, writer of
the television series Only Fools And Horses, are also honoured.
Daltrey said yesterday he was delighted with being made a CBE.
"I am so pleased," he said. "It is really great to be honoured by my
country."
Daltrey, 60, was honoured for his services to music, the entertainment
industry and charity.
The rock legend is patron of the Teenage Cancer Trust and has raised more
than £2m for the charity.
A spokeswoman for the trust added: "Roger is the most amazing spokesperson
for the charity and has helped so many young people.
"He became involved with the Teenager Cancer Trust because a lot of The
Who's success was down to teenagers supporting the band, and he wanted to
give something back to them."
Daltrey and Pete Townshend, guitarist, are the only surviving members of The
Who.
The band, notorious for their destructive stage performances, burst on to
the music scene in 1965 with I Can't Explain and went on to have hits
including My Generation, The Kids Are Alright, I Can See For Miles and
Pinball Wizard.

[...]
For Sykes and Massey there were CBEs, while Wilkinson, Palmer, Cooney and
Sullivan were all honoured with OBEs.
Quentin Blake, the children's illustrator, most notable for his work with
the late author Roald Dahl, was also made a CBE.
Waterman, 57, said he was shocked, staggered and speechless at his OBE.
He was the biggest player' in 80s pop and his Stock, Aitken and Waterman
"Hit Factory" made pop stars of Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan, Rick Astley
and Bananarama.
He said: "It's difficult to believe that something I started 35 years ago as
a part–time job would lead to this.
"To me, it's a sign our industry has come of age because there's only a
couple of other people in the music business who have received this type of
honour.
"I'm pleased for myself but I'm even more pleased that our industry, which
makes £1bn per year for this country, has been recognised.
"I've been doing it nearly 40 years and there's not many of us left from
that era, so I must be doing something right. I'm delighted and I'm looking
forward to collecting it."
In Pop Idol and Popstars: The Rivals, viewers were said to have loved
Waterman's clashes with fellow judges.
He stormed out of the Pop Idol 2 final when Michelle McManus was crowned the
winner.
Despite his lack of qualifications, Waterman – who only learned to read in
his 30s – received an honorary degree from Coventry University in 2001.
In 2003, he was invited to a special reception at Buckingham Palace
honouring Britain's top achievers.
[...]

Roger Daltrey, the lead singer of rock band The Who, has been awarded a
Commander of the British Empire (CBE) for services to music in the New
Year's Honours.
It is somewhat ironic that the man who once espoused "hope I die before I
get old" in one of the most anti-establishment bands of the 1960s has become
a Commander of the British Empire.

Daltrey, born on 1 March 1944 in Hammersmith, he was educated at London's
Acton County Grammar School.

The Who, alongside The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Kinks, were one
of the most successful and influential British rock groups on the 1960s.

Formed in west London, the band - originally called The High Numbers -
became synonymous with an angry new anti-establishment sound of youth, with
Daltrey vocalising the lyrics of their incendiary guitarist.

Live legends

Alongside bass player John Entwistle and their madcap drummer Keith Moon,
The Who had a clutch of hits from 1965 such as My Generation, Substitute,
Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland) and Can't Explain.

They became renowned for their incredibly loud live performances, which
often resulted in the band destroying their instruments.

They played legendary live sets at festivals such as Woodstock in 1969 and
the Isle of Wight in Britain in 1970.

The band entered the 1970s as one of the biggest bands in the world,
branching out into ambitious rock operas such as Tommy, which saw Daltrey
taking the lead role as the deaf and dumb hero.

Roger is the most amazing spokesperson for the charity and has helped so
many young people

Teenage Cancer Trust

The band continued to tour and release well-received records . After the
death of drummer Moon in 1978, the band split in 1983, but have since
reformed for sporadic tour dates. The long-serving Entwistle died in 2002.

Daltrey, has wed twice - his marriage to first wife Jacqueline ended in 1968
after four years, and since 1971 he has been married to Heather Taylor. He
has six children, five from his current marriage.

Charity patron

Aside from his work with The Who, who are recording a new record under the
name Who2, Daltrey has been recognised for his services to charity.

He is patron of the Teenage Cancer Trust, and has raised more than £2m for
the charity by holding concerts at the Royal Albert Hall in London.

A trust spokesperson said on Friday: "Roger is the most amazing spokesperson
for the charity and has helped so many young people.

"He became involved with the Teenage Cancer Trust because a lot of The Who's