Fallout Shelter...

Paul M. Moriarty pmm at igtc.com
Mon Dec 20 20:48:01 CST 2004

JOELTLE515 at aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 12/20/2004 5:35:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> lewinski at icanon.com writes:
>
> > I'm practicing away on American Pie by Don Mclean, and as I'm studying
> > the chords, the lyic: "Helter skelter in a Summer swelter, the Byrds flew
> > off
> > in a fallout shelter".   I know this song contains lots of references to
> > musicians
> > and bands up to an including the 1973 era, but never thought is referenced
> > The Who, or does it.   Is Fallout Shelter a Who reference?
> >

> well, "helter skelter" could've been a beatles reference too. not sure about
> the "fallout shelter" line but if you continue after those lines, "eight miles
> high and falling faaast", "the byrds flew off in a fallout shelter". "the
> byrds" reference is very obvious there. to me anyway.

I think the helter skelter in summer swelter is a Charlie Manson reference.
Sharon Tate was killed on a very hot August night.  The Byrds - 8 Miles
High is obvious.  The fallout shelter?  It's one of the more obscure
references in the song. Some think  it's just a rhyming convention like
"Chevy to the levee", though it could be a reference to drug rehab,
though that's a new one on me.