Fallout Shelter...

JOELTLE515 at aol.com JOELTLE515 at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 20:14:53 CST 2004

In a message dated 12/20/2004 5:35:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lewinski at icanon.com writes:

> I'm practicing away on American Pie by Don Mclean, and as I'm studying
> the chords, the lyic: "Helter skelter in a Summer swelter, the Byrds flew
> off
> in a fallout shelter".   I know this song contains lots of references to
> musicians
> and bands up to an including the 1973 era, but never thought is referenced
> The Who, or does it.   Is Fallout Shelter a Who reference?

well, "helter skelter" could've been a beatles reference too. not sure about
the "fallout shelter" line but if you continue after those lines, "eight miles
high and falling faaast", "the byrds flew off in a fallout shelter". "the
byrds" reference is very obvious there. to me anyway.