Pete and Joe Walsh

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 23:42:18 CST 2004

Soho Doorway is ON tonight.  Here's another repost:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/dontlookatme/pete_gre.jpg

Excerpt from May/June 1972 Guitar Player

PT: I never really got into old guitars until Joe Walsh (James Gang) rang me
up one night and said, "I've got something for you," because we buy one
another presents. He buys me old concert amps and I buy him synthesizers and
we have become very good friends. Anyway, he said, "I've got something for
you," and I said "What?" and he said, "A 1957 Gretsch."

GP: Chet Atkins type?

PT: Right, with real f-holes. I said, "Great, cheers, man," and it turned
out to be a real knockout. I was being polite. I opened the case and it was
bright orange and I thought, "Ugh! It's horrible, I hate it." I went home
and went into my studio and plugged it in and it totally wrecked me out,
it's the best guitar I've got now. It's the Chet Atkins model, with double
pickups, f-holes and single cut-away.

GP: Doesn't it have a mellow sound, though; it doesn't "chunck", does it?

PT: Oh, I used that guitar on every track on Who's Next, it's the best
guitar I've ever had. It's the finest guitar I've ever owned, it's the
loudest guitar I've ever owned. It is so loud, man, it whips any pickup that
I've ever come across. It's maybe six or seven times louder than anything
I've come across. If I plugged it in my amp tonight, normally I'd be working
on volume 6 or 7, but I would work this guitar on 1.