Kenney Jones Interview

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 05:28:19 CST 2004

Repost from Whochat Forum:

>Kenney Jones is interviewed in the February 2005 edition of "Modern
>Drummer." There are some interesting things there.

Empty Glass. "When Pete was recording 'Rough Boys,' I said, 'Ah, this should
really be a Who song.' There's actually a couple of songs on there that I
think should have been Who songs. But he said, 'Ooh, I don't know.' I think
I said the wrong thing, but I meant it. They got a nice drum sound on that
album, but it wasn't like the Who sound, which is the sound I would have
preferred. But then again, I had just joined The Who and I didn't know quite
how the band was thinking about their sound then. Pete said to me when I
first joined the band, 'Now we have an opportunity to be completely
different.' So I thought, ok, maybe that's the way they want to go. But it
was weird."

Face Dances. "Playing with The Who is unique. The bass player was my foot,
and I was playing in the middle of two lead guitarists. One 'guitarist' had
the bass end of it and one had the high end, and I had to fit in somewhere
in the middle. That's when I started to learn different bass drum techniques
and ended up having the fastest foot in the industry at one point, without
using two bass drums. I also started to deliver a punchier feel. I got
fitter and my arms got bigger. You had to be 110% fit to play with The Who,
because it was three and a half hours of non-stop drumming. The only rest I
got was on 'Behind Blue Eyes.'"

To me, the most amazing part of this interview with Kenney, however, has
nothing to do with The Who, but rather the Stones. I had no idea about this
amazing bit:

It's Only Rock n Roll "Ron Wood would always call up just as I was getting
into bed at about midnight and say, 'Kenney, we haven't got a drummer.' In
those days you never knew who was going to be in the studio...Woody had just
got all this new equipment for the studio, so he was in there twiddling
knobs and pissing about, and he left me and Jagger playing together. Mick
was playing guitar and singing a bit. I just played along and he said to me,
'That's nice, do that.' And I said, 'It's only n roll,' and he said, 'Yeah,
but I like it.' And then we started to sing it. We just played that riff and
it kept going. Then Woody recorded it and put guitar on it. Now, it was only
supposed to be a demo. Later I found out that they went in to try to record
it properly but couldn't capture the feel, even with Charlie, which I found
strange. So the rest of the Stones put it out the way it was. I felt so
guilty, so when I saw Charlie I said, 'Charlie, I'm told they kept my
drumming. I'm really sorry, it's not the way I wanted things to work out.'
He said, 'Ah, it sounds like me anyway though.' He's great--brilliant."