Roger Daltrey, 60, Sings for New Generation

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 06:59:52 CST 2004

Pardon if this has already been posted. I haven't yet
been able to clear the close to 300 messages in my
in-box since I came back.

>From Reuters at:
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=6965782

Roger Daltrey, 60, Sings for New Generation
Wed Dec 1, 2004 08:10 AM ET

By Jill Serjeant
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - It's almost 40 years since
Roger Daltrey first hollered, "Hope I die before I get
old" and captured the anger and frustration of his
generation.

But it is only now, at age 60, and 10 times a
grandfather, that life is making sense for the
frontman of the legendary British rock band The Who.

Daltrey, whose onstage charisma powered The Who to
fame in the 1960s and '70s as much as Pete Townshend's
caustic lyrics and furious guitar chords, has just
made his first video/DVD for tiny tots.

Daltrey, better known for his microphone-twirling
performances before thousands of screaming fans,
provides the singing and speaking voice for a friendly
green dragon on an animated "The Wheels on the Bus"
video for an independent California production
company.
"Having had children, and now grandchildren, it all
sounded like a great idea. Yeah, 10 grandchildren.
It's just fantastic. Finally life is starting to make
a bit of sense," Daltrey told Reuters in an interview.

Daltrey admits that the gentle preschool video
animation of the classic children's song is a new
departure for a singer whose band is best known for
smashing up its instruments and playing at deafening
volume.

"I don't see Roger Daltrey as anything other than an
everyday human being. I've never been overprotective
about the image side of the rock 'n' roll business.
That leaves you at the age of 40," Daltrey laughed.

"To me all that's left is the music you play, and in
that sense The Who is as powerful now as it ever was."

THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT

In a Who career marked by breakups, solo projects and
triumphant reunions, Daltrey has added many more
strings to his bow. He has worked as an actor and more
recently has used rock music to raise funds for sick
children's charities in Britain. "Our business was
founded on the back of teen-agers so it's good to put
something back," he said.

"The Wheels on the Bus" video came to him through
friends and he was drawn to the idea of involvement in
"harmless entertainment" for 2- to 4-year-olds. It was
also "a great way of introducing music to a whole new
generation of kids -- maybe even the grandchildren of
teen-agers that grew up listening to The Who."

The original Who lineup is now down to Daltrey and
Townshend after the deaths of drummer Keith Moon in
1978 and bassist John Entwistle in 2002.

After years of talking about it, Daltrey and Townshend
are getting back together in December to work on what
could be The Who's first studio album since 1982's
"It's Hard."

Townshend's working title is "Who2" which he describes
in a Web site posting as "only partly tongue in
cheek."

Daltrey is excited by the prospect but recognizes that
recording as The Who again will be odd. "There is only
Pete and I left. First thing we're going to be doing
is him and I going in and making music just together.
Then we're going to get our stage band together and
work around involving them in whatever that band
creates, which is a different thing again."

Daltrey attributes the continuing popularity of The
Who to Townshend's "totally unique" style of music
rather than his own sexually charged live
performances.

"I can't be objective about my role. I've never seen
me. And I've never seen The Who. There is an energy in
The Who's music which is undeniable but that is in the
writing," he said.

With a growing clutch of old rock stars refusing, as
The Who sang in "My Generation," to "f-fade away,"
Daltrey looks to the next 10 years with equanimity.

"Who knows what we're going to be like when we're 70?
In a bathchair on the seafront at Eastbourne?" he
laughed. "I'm hoping I will be very happy in the
bathchair if that's how it has to be. But I'm hoping
not.

"Music lives inside of me. I don't ever feel happier
than when I'm performing."