Camper Van Beethoven rock opera

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 4 23:27:21 CST 2004

Mark will like the comment here:

http://www.providencephoenix.com/music/otr/documents/04282817.asp

Camper Van Beethoven
NEW ROMAN TIMES
(Vanguard)

You can say this about George W. Bush: he’s made the world safe for rock
operas again. First, before the election, there was Green Day’s great
American Idiot. And, now — to tide over those who like their rock with a
side order of irony — there’s New Roman Times, a presidential indictment
that also happens to be Cracker frontman David Lowery’s first new album with
his original band, Camper Van Beethoven, in 15 years.

The album is told from the point of view of a soldier who joins a military
unit in a not-so-distant-version of the future — or so we’re told in the
liner notes, since, like everything from Quadrophenia to American Idiot, the
actual story isn’t that clear from the songs. But it doesn’t matter.
Lowery’s tongue-in-cheek lyrics stand up even without the story, especially
on "Militia Song," when he sings, "Let’s go get these commies/don’t forget
the queers/and their intellectual allies," over a jaunty, old-time-country
backdrop. The album closes with "Hey Brother," supposedly a song about a
suicide bomber, but equally easy to interpret — pre-November 2 — as a
things-will-be-better-if-you-wait mantra. Let’s hope that, four years from
now, we’ll still want to sing along when Lowery moans optimistically, "Hey
sister/we’re on our way."

BY JEFF MILLER

Issue Date: November 26 - December 2, 2004