Roger Daltrey Sings for New Generation

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Thu Dec 2 17:31:24 CST 2004

Repost from Relayers:

==========
>From Reuters

By Jill Serjeant

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - It's almost 40 years since Roger Daltrey first
hollered, "Hope I die before I get old" and captured the anger and
frustration of his generation.

But it is only now, at age 60, and 10 times a grandfather, that life
is making sense for the frontman of the legendary British rock band
The Who.

Daltrey, whose onstage charisma powered The Who to fame in the 1960s
and '70s as much as Pete Townshend's caustic lyrics and furious guitar
chords, has just made his first video/DVD for tiny tots.

Daltrey, better known for his microphone-twirling performances before
thousands of screaming fans, provides the singing and speaking voice
for a friendly green dragon on an animated "The Wheels on the Bus"
video for an independent California production company.

"Having had children, and now grandchildren, it all sounded like a
great idea. Yeah, 10 grandchildren. It's just fantastic. Finally life
is starting to make a bit of sense," Daltrey told Reuters in an interview.

Daltrey admits that the gentle preschool video animation of the
classic children's song is a new departure for a singer whose band is
best known for smashing up its instruments and playing at deafening
volume.

"I don't see Roger Daltrey as anything other than an everyday human
being. I've never been overprotective about the image side of the rock
'n' roll business. That leaves you at the age of 40," Daltrey laughed.

"To me all that's left is the music you play, and in that sense The
Who is as powerful now as it ever was."

THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT

In a Who career marked by breakups, solo projects and triumphant
reunions, Daltrey has added many more strings to his bow. He has
worked as an actor and more recently has used rock music to raise
funds for sick children's charities in Britain. "Our business was
founded on the back of teen-agers so it's good to put something back,"
he said.

"The Wheels on the Bus" video came to him through friends and he was
drawn to the idea of involvement in "harmless entertainment" for 2- to
4-year-olds. It was also "a great way of introducing music to a whole
new generation of kids -- maybe even the grandchildren of teen-agers
that grew up listening to The Who."

The original Who lineup is now down to Daltrey and Townshend after the
deaths of drummer Keith Moon in 1978 and bassist John Entwistle in 2002.

After years of talking about it, Daltrey and Townshend are getting
back together in December to work on what could be The Who's first
studio album since 1982's "It's Hard."

Townshend's working title is "Who2" which he describes in a Web site
posting as "only partly tongue in cheek."

Daltrey is excited by the prospect but recognizes that recording as
The Who again will be odd. "There is only Pete and I left. First thing
we're going to be doing is him and I going in and making music just
together. Then we're going to get our stage band together and work
around involving them in whatever that band creates, which is a
different thing again."

Daltrey attributes the continuing popularity of The Who to Townshend's
"totally unique" style of music rather than his own sexually charged
live performances.

"I can't be objective about my role. I've never seen me. And I've
never seen The Who. There is an energy in The Who's music which is
undeniable but that is in the writing," he said.

With a growing clutch of old rock stars refusing, as The Who sang in
"My Generation," to "f-fade away," Daltrey looks to the next 10 years
with equanimity.

"Who knows what we're going to be like when we're 70? In a bathchair
on the seafront at Eastbourne?" he laughed. "I'm hoping I will be very
happy in the bathchair if that's how it has to be. But I'm hoping not.

"Music lives inside of me. I don't ever feel happier than when I'm
performing."