Zep and Who

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Fri Aug 27 23:54:29 CDT 2004

In a message dated 8/27/2004 11:08:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
thewho-request at igtc.com writes:

> I think if it wasn't
> for the who, there wouldn't be a Led zeppelin. which band had the frontman
> with
> the big blonde curly hair first? think about it.

And the open chested shirt, and the bell bottom jeans, and the necklace, and
the huge buckled belt, etc, etc.  Plant ripped off Daltrey's entire stage
personna.  I'm surprised he didn't swing the mic, too.  His stage strut was even
similar to Daltrey.  I'm actually a Zeppelin fan, and view their studio work as
excellent.

BUT, I think they are somewhat overrated as a live act.  Their act lacked
energy.  There was plenty of drama and emotion, I suppose, but I don't think any
of their performances could compare to even the worst Who show.  In addition,
Plant was a big wimp when it came to his live vocals.  He regularly copped out
on the tough notes and rearranged the vocals to safer territory.  Daltrey
actually tried TOUGHER notes and pitches live than in studio.  Hell, even today
he only sings different notes in the spots where he physically can't get there
anymore (see Baba O'Riley).  I mean, he was 59 and writing Bargain into the
set for a whole tour.  THAT'S balls (if not necessarily brains).  Punk and the
Godfather?  There are some really hard portions of that, yet Daltrey chose it
for the 2004 tour.  Balls, my friends, balls.  And he steps up and goes for it,
even if he isn't right on all the time anymore.  I respect the hell out of
him for that.

Mc