The Who2

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 23:54:07 CDT 2004

In a message dated 8/20/2004 4:19:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
thewho-request at igtc.com writes:

> If they can't let go of
> the name completely, let them go out as "A Who" or "The Who2", and
> see what sort of a fan base they can build.  I think it would be
> large -- heck it might be unchanged from their current draws -- but
> unfortunately they don't seem to be willing to take that chance.

They aren't in a position to build a fan base at this point.  This is the
last gasp, I'm afraid.  Pete has discussed the need to work creatively with Roger
again as The Who in order to finally gain some measure of closure for his own
emotional well-being.  I remember someone noteworthy telling him this
(related by Pete in an interview), but his name escapes me.

This new album we are hoping for is the exclamation point (or period,
depending on how good it is) for The Who.  Album followed by the REAL farewell tour.
Roger knows his voice, though pretty damn good right now and up to Who
standards on most songs, is not going to be there much longer.  I think he wants to
finish this while he can still do the music justice, then call it quits on The
Who, and Pete, IMHO, agrees.  To expect them to create some new name and try
to build anything now is unrealistic.  That's for bands with members in their
20s or 30s, not The Who.

Mc