Pete clears Pacific Players Tommy

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 17:38:47 CDT 2004

>From the Santa Cruz Sentinel at:
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2004/August/19/style/stories/01style.htm
(page down)

'Tommy's' close call
Those who enjoyed the live re-creation of the Who's
rock opera "Tommy" last weekend at the Rio Theatre
probably didn’t even know that it almost didn’t
happen.

After the show's initial performance on Aug. 7,
lawyers for the Who got wind of press reports — not
from this paper — that the producers had made changes
to the opera. Citing breach of contract, the band's
representatives presented the Pacific Players of Santa
Cruz with a cease-and-desist order. Panicked, the
local producers immediately pleaded their case, denied
substantial changes had been made and provided a
detailed list of all changes, however minor, that the
production did make.

"We learned that the person who had to make the
decision was PETE TOWNSHEND himself," said the
production’s director GREG HARBERT. "He looked over
the changes and finally gave it his OK."

Ironically, the Who was playing the Shoreline
Amphitheatre in Mountain View the very night "Tommy"
opened in Santa Cruz. Harbert made a point to invite
Townshend, the Who’s resident genius, to see the show.
"I thought he’d be tickled by it," said Harbert.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com