Hollywood Bowl review from Mc

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 04:32:45 CDT 2004

Best Who performance I have ever seen.  Of course, I didn't see them live for
the first time until 2001, but this show tops all seven shows I saw in 2002
and the one Saturday in Mtn View, CA.  Both Pete and Roger were in really
upbeat and fired-up moods.  A bit less banter overall than two nights ago, but this
time Roger chimed in a few times where he hardly spoke at all Saturday.  He
specifically thanked us for helping them deal with John's death since HB was
the first show after it happened.  I won't run through the setlist with my
thoughts this time, but rather give some general impressions and relate a few key
moments.

1.  Pete is just on fire right now in all respects.  He has the audience
wrapped around his finger.  Best description was from a fan walking toward the
exit after the show: "Man, Townshend is just from another fucking planet."  Pete
also commented on the changes made to HB (they removed the giant white balls),
saying that "I no longer feel like I'm playing in a giant vagina.  I guess
change isn't always for the best."  Huge laughter.

2. This is BY FAR the best Roger has sounded in recent memory.  He was
extremely strong all evening.  He was hitting the harder notes with far more power
and clarity than most of the shows I've seen.  It showed in his confidence as
he attacked the vocals with his old 70s cockiness.  He was as awesome on SMFM
as he was on ICE.  It was really amazing.  His energy was back and mood turned
180 degrees from Saturday.  He had a blast.  He was back as the antagonist to
Pete.  They were back and forth- LOOK AT ME!!!  NO, LOOK AT ME!! etc, etc.
That was missing Saturday.  The mic was everywhere, he was doing the old Daltrey
arm swings and leg stomps.  It was a great performance.  I'll bet the encore
CD bears this out, also.

3. Lots of people singing RGLB (surprised me), and ORW got a raucus reception
(Roger's vocals were flat amazing here- quite a bit better even than the
studio version, IMHO).

4. They did something tonight that I've never seen.  They added a WGFA blues
ending after the extended jam.  I have never heard anything like this on any
bootleg or other live Who cd.  It was damn cool.  Roger was also holding those
"eeeeee's" beautifully.

5. Pete commented on how it's a shame that Pino only plays bass, because his
name is fun to announce.  He said Pino should be a bass player, juggler,
escape artist, and more.

6. Roger dedicated TKAA to Eddie Vedder, who was in attendance and just had a
child.

7. Saw Who babe probably ten different times, each in a different part of the
bowl.  She was really making the rounds.  Saw her at Pig n' Whistle, also.
I'll say, she sure is a Who BABE (purrrrrr).  She had "Who kid" with her also.

8. Show ran about 2 hrs, 10 minutes.  Most of the songs were extended quite a
bit.  Pete also pulled some goofy antics after the encore as he and Roger
exited.  It was similar to the way he acted in a couple of the clips from the end
of TKAA (during Long Live Rock).  He went the wrong way at first, then was
directed in the other direction and did reverse air guitar windmills to point
the proper direction, then ran ahead of Roger, stopped and backed up with his
butt sticking out, almost hitting Roger, then high stepped it off stage.  It was
hilarious.

9. Couldn't hear Pino very well, except for Punk and Godfather (some pretty
fine runs) and MG.  Heard some really good bass during WGFA also- even
Entwistle-ish, if you will (style, not skill).

10. Missed Jo and Sandy at Who-la-la.  I didn't get there until just after
3pm when The Who Show began playing (enjoyed them quite a bit.  I left right
after A Quick One, which was VERY good) but didn't recognize them.  I had to go
because my sister was suffering a bit in that loud room, and she isn't very
familiar with The Who and isn't a big rock fan to begin with, so I didn't think
it was right to make her stay.  Were ya'll there from 3pm till 5pm?  I was
wearing jeans and a British flag shirt with an RAF target on the chest and stood
near the door (right near Who Babe).

If anything else comes to me, I'll post later.  It's a bit late and I have a
flight back to Baton Rouge tomorrow.

Mc