San Francisco Chronicle

Neil E. Weissman neilweissman at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 22:19:45 CDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: thewho-bounces at igtc.com [mailto:thewho-bounces at igtc.com]On Behalf
Of L. Bird
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 10:02 PM
To: thewho at igtc.com
Subject: Re: San Francisco Chronicle

> I'm not sure this is true.  How much shorter are the shows?  Are they
> starting later, or what?   I've been to some shows by younger artists or
> artists sharing a double bill that ran only 45 minutes.  It's true their
> admission price isn't generally $100-$200, but also they're not The Who.

The Who shows are getting shorter.  It started in 2002 and is becoming even
more obvious now.  I may be too critical, but I feel cheated when this
happens.

> I agree that the published set list is predictable, but I there seems to
be
> a lot of variation in the jams.  I was interested to hear bits of what
might
> be other songs than those Matt listed, which might suggest they're running
> through them for Pino's benefit, or treating us to a medley, or whatever.
> Also, isn't there a noise curfew?  I believe Pete was very pissed in 2000
> because they had to pay a $10,000 fine for the second MSG encore.

I was at the MSG show.  The set was so short Pete called the band back for
the Magic Bus.  Pino has been with the band for over two years and I am sure
could learn more stuff.  As far as the curfew, if they know they should
start the shows earlier.

Still a fun band to see.:-)