Mc's review of Shoreline 8/7/04 (Long but worth it)

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Mon Aug 9 02:23:43 CDT 2004

A fantastic show and an awesome crowd.  It was absolutely jammed all the way
to the top of the lawn seats.  A sea of humanity when looking up from the 12th
row.  I was sitting on Pete's side with a good view of the stage.  Could even
see Bob Pridden quite well, who was showing off some serious moves from
behind the sound board.  Zak's drums were set much closer to the front than I'm
used to seeing, but I actually liked the tighter appearance it gave to the band.
It made the stage itself seem a bit smaller.  Roger and Pete didn't have
quite as much room to operate as I'm accustomed to, which may be why Roger didn't
swing the mic as much as usual.

As for the show, this was the best overall performance from Pete I have
witnessed live.  What a great mood he was in all night.  He was talkative, funny,
and was pulling out moves reminiscent of the Shepperton Baba O footage.  Roger
was subdued, brooding even at times.  Didn't seem pissed, but rather like he
was at work.  While Pete looked like he was having the time of his life, Roger
seemed like he was punching time clock for much of the show.  Zak is the
fucking man.

Same setlist.  Funny moment when Roger sang the first line of Substitute
wrong ("You think my shoes are made of leather") and didn't realize until midway
through the second line that he had sung the same line twice.  He laughed his
ass off and actually was laughing while singing the chorus.  It was a true Who
moment.  Pete was twisting and turning and shaking and windmilling and jumping
all throughout.  He was noticeably inspired.

After AAA they went directly into Baba.  Love the song, but Roger's vocals
keep bothering me on this one.  No biggie.  Before BBE, Pete thanked the
audience for coming and made a comment on having come from Hawaii and REALLY enjoyed
it there.  It was a short interlude as they went quickly to BBE.

Roger sounded very hoarse on the first few lines as he tried to sing them
softly.  That's a tall order after kicking ass all over the harmonica solo not 90
seconds before.  Not sure why BBE comes after BOR when Roger is so out of
breathe.  He got it together on the second verse and the song went well from
there.  Some interesting Pete soloing here that was atypical for this song, but he
was doing this all night with every song.

Pete did a prolonged speech here, explaining where they had been on the tour,
that the tour was in part to support us because we had supported him and the
band over the past year- clearly alluding to his personal troubles.  He then
announced RGLB as one of two new songs on their new compilation album (but
never mentioned "Then and Now"- I love PT).  RGLB was very well-received with a
number of people singing along.  I was too busy listening to Roger's voice.  He
struggled a little in a couple of spots, but it was actually pretty good.
It's a tough song to sing live.  Pete went wild during the little upbeat portion
in the middle and got the crowd going.  He really brought the song alive from
there until the end.  He was able to get the crowd off constantly throughout
the show.  I'll bet concession tanked during the performance b/c everyone
wanted to see what he'd do next.

GREAT rendition of WAY.  Roger kicked absolute ass, adding a few extra
screams and remaining VERY strong vocally throughout.  Pete has done better solos
here, but that's severe nit-picking considering what he did otherwise.  After
the Whooo-wah part, Zak's kick-in was off with Pete and Pino and it took them a
few seconds to get it together, but they did, of course.

Quad- Pete introduced Quad as a story about "water, wine and love."  He then
said, "I really had a great time in Hawaii."  Lots of laughter and applause.
Pete's acoustic work on Drowned was exceptional, as always.  Crowd kept
getting off all the way through.  Punk and Godfather was the highlight for me.  I
love this song and they played it great.  Rog had it going, too, and Pete was
absolutely all over the place.  LROM was excellent as always.  Hard to hear Ro
ger's screams here, but it wasn't his fault.  I will explain why later.

Eminence Front was as it usually is.  Pete had some fun on lead guitar, left
out a few lines, and actually added "It's not google, it's not yahoo" between
"It's a put-on" and "It's an eminence front."  He was on fire throughout.
Roger forgot to turn his mic stand so he could help with backing vox and he
couldn't get around it.  He looked at Bob, who shrugged, and they both laughed.

After EF, Pete said something about how much they loved us or whether we
loved them.  I can't remember exactly.  YBYB was as it always is- a slam dunk for
Roger.  He still didn't seem to be having as much fun as he should have been
having, though.  He's human, of course.  Who knows what was on his mind.  He
sounded great here, however, as he always does.

Pete into'd TKAA with a comment of support for the United States in our
current struggles and wished us success and future safety.  He then specifically
said that he was not being in any way political, and that he understood that we
were split right down the middle and wished us general peace and harmony
regardless of the outcome (election).  TKAA was really nice AND incendiary.  Pete
and Zak REALLY got it going both before and after the improved lines.  Pete's
improv'd lyrics were extended with some peace and world security implications
along with the usual "nothing wrong with my kids..."  Roger began with his
usual "I can remember when I was 16..." lyrics he has been using for the past few
years, but it was really touching when he got to the part about his body being
broken, his eyes can't see and his ears can't hear, yet "I'm still me."  He
has used similar lines to this in the past, but somehow I was touched by the
emotion of them this time in a way I haven't been before.

MG/ORW was incredible.  Pete did an nice extended jam at the end of MG with a
lot of quiet spots then vicious kick-ins with Zak.  Roger sounded awesome on
ORW.  Really, really awesome- and the songs was a huge hit after Pete went
insane on the jam.  People near me were shaking their heads in disbelief at what
this near-60 yr old was doing.  It also went on and on and no one wanted it to
stop.  Roger also held the "Let it breeeeeeeeaaaaaaaathe" for a long count in
a ballsy move that really worked.

WGFA was as it is.  Pete intentionally left out some of the guitar chords
right after the opening in a humorous move as he mugged for the crowd after doing
it.  Roger sang it this time more faithfully to the original than he usually
does, and he seemed to be sticking his "EEE's" to create a voice tone
reminiscent of the 1970s Roger.  Pete did a nice long end jam and was everywhere on
stage.  Roger seemed a bit disinterested, as he sort of stood still and watched
Pete and laid off the mic swinging when Pete got to the big finish.  Maybe he
was as in awe as the rest of us, but it seemed odd to me.

Encore sizzled.  Roger gave one of his best renditions of PW in a good while.
 He stuck the notes.

AJ/Sparks- I'm not sure I have words for this.  It was Pete at his finest.
It defied description.  Sorry, but I just can't do it justice.  Roger again
sounded good, but energy was off.  He didn't even break one of the tamborines as
he usually does.

SMFM/LTY- Roger nailed the shit out of it (see the emphasized "EEE's"
mentioned above).  I even heard the people next to me comment to each other that he
sounded much better than earlier in the show (and I know they were referring to
BBE).  Pete solo'd, windmilled, leapt, bounced, ran- it was all there.  He
even did an end jam with a false ending.  Meanwhile, Roger stood motionless and
watched.  It was a bit bizare.  He almost always watches while swinging the
mike as he awaits Pete's big finish.  Here he didn't.

Overall, it was not the best Who show I've ever seen, but it was in the
ballpark.  It WAS the best single performance from Pete I have witnessed.  He
actually did a hilarious move where he bounced back and forth on each foot like an
ape but with his arms flailing above.  And he did it more than once.  I
laughed my ass off.  He also did a kick ass split jump right in front of the drums
during the encore- and he was up pretty high for a 59-year-old.  I hope someone
got a picture of it because it was amazing.  Roger's performance was
workmanlike- a few struggles early but a real resurgence starting with WAY and the
Quad songs.  Still, I think something may have been bothering him.  I have seen
him in much better spirits, while I have never seen Pete in better spirits.  As
for Pino, I was seated right in front of the giant sub-woofers and Zak's bass
drum obliterated pretty much all I could hear of bass guitar.  BUT, his MG
runs were excellent, and I could hear some really good stuff during Punk and GF.
 It does seem that he's been turned up, but I'll get a better idea tonight
when I'm in the center.

It's on to the final show of the tour: Hollywood Bowl tonight.  Can't way to
get some impressions of The Who from my sis.

Mc