Pete as reluctant spiritual leader

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Fri Aug 6 14:40:03 CDT 2004

> If you shift world views into the supernatural, then yes, Pete is a wizard
> (priest, holy man, guru, shaman) that heals our spirits and sends us safe
> and comforted on our way.

If so, then he "heals" by showing us his own fallacies & failings, reminding
us that he's *one* of us.  He channels, focuses, helps expel....whatever....
our feelings & emotions.  He doesn't claim to be wiser or more spiritually
knowledgeable than us.....as a spiritual leader would, correct?

A large part of Pete's career has been that dichotomy of *wanting* to
help....to lead....but knowing he's sometimes as lost & confused as we
are.

"I have to be careful not to preach, I can't pretend that I can teach.
And yet I lived your future out, by pounding stages like a clown."

The Godfather muses, "I don't want to be seen as a preacher.  I'm not
any kind of teacher.....  But, hell, I've *been* there!  I experienced it!"

Hence Pete's dilemma:  He doesn't want to preach, but he's plenty qualified
to do so.

Maybe that's why, later in his career, he's focused on the one subject he
*can* talk about without feeling like he's preaching:  That subject being
himself.

What he may fail to realize is that we don't *need* him to constantly
write about himself in order to get some kind of spiritual/beneficial nugget
of knowledge to help us through our day & make his art transcendent.
Even when Pete was writing about completely *fictionalized* characters,
enough of himself was permeating the art, easily enabling us to glean those
bits of knowledge, wisdom, & opinion.

- SCHRADE in Akron

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
     - Unknown