MSG Encore

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Fri Aug 6 12:30:12 CDT 2004

> Roger certainly struggled in spots a couple nights before in Mansfield, but
> I didn't think it was terrible.  Love Ain't For Keeping was hard for him,
> but I liked it.  I don't know, maybe I'm adjusting to his limitations.

I've adjusted for the most part, too.  But that MSG Encore CD is just
plain bad.  It's very difficult to listen to.

But I admire Daltrey for his *own* adjusting, & the re-phrasing he engages
in to make up for his diminishing range.  Ironically, those vocal re-phrasings
freshen up the songs.  And most importantly, he doesn't overdo it.

> And I think you're right about him sounding better in person than on the
> CDs.

Well, you've got the "rough-edge-reducing" sound of the crowd, the echo
of the venue, etc.  These all help eliminate the more obvious vocal limitations
a singer may be experiencing.

I just think Daltrey had a bad night at MSG.  He may have overdone it
at Mansfield, he may have had a cold or a throat ailment......   It's happened
to Pete, too.  Go out & rent Pete's 1993 PYCHODERELECT live video.
My MSG Encore CD will get about as much playtime as that video.

- SCHRADE in Akron

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.
     - Woody Allen