Pete as reluctant spiritual leader

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 6 00:58:35 CDT 2004

>And then became a Messiah to his audience, although he couldn't be that
>one, simply because he is only a guitarist/musician with a bunch of good
>ideas.

This is only one interpretation of what happened, though.  If you go back to
Jung and the idea of synchronicity and subconscious understanding, then it's
not just good ideas--it's the real thing.  It's just that Pete was shocked
at the effect this simple thing had on his audience.  He couldn't explain
what he'd done, and didn't know how to deal with it, or even how to repeat
it.

>But, BUT, his music opened that magical door to everyone who listen to it,
>because is a charmed music, do you know that? You are a Spiritual Wizard,
>even if you don't wanna be like one. Live with that, or retire forever.

You're mixing world-views here, Tom.  Please pay attention and stick with
one or the other.   ;)

Jung's science may be too soft and mushy for Schrade, but Jung made a
serious try at interpreting instinct and racial memory--how it is that we
recognize things that are basic to the human animal and the the human
spirit.  The Who's music speaks to both, so it's understood as univeral
truth.

If you shift world views into the supernatural, then yes, Pete is a wizard
(priest, holy man, guru, shaman) that heals our spirits and sends us safe
and comforted on our way.  (Again, I'd have to include Roger in this
description, as well.)  The problem is that Pete isn't comfortable with his
own gift.  He distrusts the magic, and so he can't say to people, "I can't
explain this.  Peace, go on your way and be healed."

keets

P.S.  BTW, I think Carlos Santana IS comfortable with this same magic.