Tommy play

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Thu Aug 5 19:14:47 CDT 2004

> Stu was confused.  In the play, when Captain Walker returns, the
> play actually has the step father being killed, and Captain Walker
> participating in the rest of the story???
> What the???
> Anyone else out there see the play?
> Was this how it "played" out in your town?
> Why the change to the basis of the story line?????

Actually, that's how the original album (1969) presents the story.
Captain Walker kills "the lover" - not the other way around.  The
libretto that came with the album says:

1921

Lover:  I've got a feeling twenty one is going to be a good year.
            Especially if you & me see it in together.

Father:  So you think twenty one is going to be a good year.
            It could be good for me & her, but you & her - no never!
            I had no reason to be over optimistic, but somehow when
            you smiled I could brave bad weather.

Mother:  What about the boy?  What about the boy?
              What about the boy?  He saw it all.

Mother & Father:  You didn't hear it, you didn't see it.
              (etc., etc.)

It was Ken Russell's movie which switched the story around &
had the lover (the step-father) kill Captain Walker.  And that
seems to be the version most people remember.

The recent stage versions have reverted back to the actual album
storyline where the lover gets killed by Captain Walker.

- SCHRADE in Akron