Rock 'n' Roll Circus coming on DVD

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 20:21:30 CDT 2004

>From Billboard at:
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000591212

Stones' 'Circus' Heading To DVD

ABKCO Records is preparing the Rolling Stones' film
"Rock and Roll Circus" for DVD release, Billboard.biz
reports. The December 1968 concert was filmed for a
television special, although it was never broadcast.

In 1996, ABKCO released a CD and videocassette of the
event, which also featured performances by the Who,
Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithfull and the
Dirty Mac, a supergroup comprising John Lennon, Eric
Clapton, Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell.

Directed by Michael Lindsay Hogg, the film features
the Stones performing tunes that had just appeared on
their "Beggars Banquet" album: "Parachute Woman," "No
Expectations," "Sympathy for the Devil" and a giddy
version of "Salt of the Earth." They also performed
their current hit at the time, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
and premiered "You Can't Always Get What You Want,"
which would debut the following year on the album "Let
It Bleed."

Blink Digital, an independent DVD-authoring facility
in New York, is preparing the DVD, which ABKCO hopes
to release in the fourth quarter. It will feature a
surround-sound mix and bonus content, including
never-released performances from the concert and
contemporary commentary from participants.

Although nothing came of "Rock and Roll Circus" until
recent years, Mahal told Billboard in 1996 that it was
a turning point in his career.

"I had been playing in a club in California, and Mick
Jagger was in the audience," he recalled. "So I went
up to him after the show and said, 'Mick, we got a
snowball's chance in hell of making things happen over
here. If there's any kind of way we can help you in
the U.K., playing on records with you, anything, we'd
be glad to.' Three months later, the tickets came in
the mail for my band, the road guys, and two of our
management people, carte blanche, to go to London and
perform in the 'Rock and Roll Circus.'"

As previously reported, the Stones' previously
import-only collection "Jump Back" will arrive Aug. 24
in North America via Virgin/EMI Catalog Marketing.

-- Christopher Walsh, N.Y.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!