Spirituality

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 1 12:59:37 CDT 2004

<<There are many shades to the word "spiritual."  And I think Pete's writing
shows not only a *religious* sense of spirituality but also a humanistic
one, as well>>

>Though I'm not one of them, there are people who are both humanistic and
>religious/spiritual.  There's even a denomination of Judaism, Humanistic
>Judaism (http://www.shj.org), where the practioners live good religious
>lives, go to shul, do the holidays and Shabbos, etc., but don't believe in
>a Divine.

Once you have a look at different religions (or approaches to spirituality),
then you begin to see similarities that point out what's important.  For
example, Jesus is quoted as saying, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Light."
  He's personifying there, but if I'm not mistaken, Buddha said about the
same thing.  This would seem to suggest that it's the Way, the Truth and the
Light that are important, and not so much the teacher, or even what god you
swear allegiance to.

Thus, when we hear something from Pete that resonates with universal truth,
we're reminded that we should pay attention to our spiritual path,
regardless of what beliefs we hold about the cosmos.

keets