Newsday on Duff's lyric change

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 12:15:42 CDT 2004

On line at:
http://shorterlink.com/?992ZA4

Changing the lyrics for her 'Generation'
RAFER GUZMAN
August 1, 2004

Hilary Duff was born to be mild. On her current tour,
the 16-year-old singer-actress has been closing her
show with a cover of "My Generation," The Who's 1965
rant against narrow-minded old fogies. Given Duff's
fan base - primarily preteen girls - it's a clever
choice. But there's something a little odd about
Duff's version.

Duff changes the most famous line by inserting one
well-placed word: "Hope I don't die before I get old."
At Nassau Coliseum earlier this week, Duff sang it so
quickly that even the parents in the audience seemed
not to notice. In that moment, however, she changed
the song from rebellious anthem to pleasant pop tune.

Were the original lyrics too negative for Duff? If
that's the case, there are plenty of other rock songs
she could defang. Among the possibilities: Devo's
"Don't Whip It,"

Metallica's "Don't Seek & Destroy" and the Rolling
Stones' "Don't Paint It Black."

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!