Who are you?

Keithjmoon70 at aol.com Keithjmoon70 at aol.com
Sun Apr 25 16:39:25 CDT 2004

In a message dated 4/25/2004 1:42:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bushchoked at yahoo.com writes:
We do when they change the formula of Coke, though, as
in "New Coke." Yesh, that was horrible! It tasted
exactly like Pepsi. And "changing the formula" is a
great analogy to changing the members of the band.

I remember that well.  I couldn't believe Coke would do such a stupid thing!
It's like the people at Coke were sick of drinking Coke themselves or
something and changed the formula.  I have by me a can of Coke "classic."  It is
still written on the label like they're still having to identify their mistake.

The Who had no choice in the matter in the changing of their "formula." The
members died.  They died from their own lifestyles.  The rhythm template was
set by Keith and John.  The product was created by them.  They themselves were
the product.  But they were a rhythm section. Not a singer. Not the main
creative force, and certainly not the main energy source live. They were the
catalysts.  They did their job already.  They turned Pete Townshend into who he is
today and he's still here and the voice is still here too. Pete and Roger are
more important than them and they are the irreplaceable ones.  Pete is too
important.  Roger is too. If one of them were to die instead, there would not be
the demand for tickets we are presently experiencing and no possibility of
having this argument.

As for the Beatles argument, it is unthinkable to have that band without John
Lennon.  But not without Ringo. Kevin was right about the dynamics of the
thing.  But if you don't like something, that is all that matters to the
individual. But it doesn't mean that it is the wrong decision or that the Who are
watering themselves down.  They are impressing many that didn't think they could
do what they are doing. And finishing what they started instead of ending on a
wet fart.

Jon in Mi.