Indianapolis Star on Then & Now

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 06:16:54 CDT 2004

>From the Indianapolis Star at:
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/140640-5398-062.html

Best-of package is Who's tightest
April 25, 2004
THE WHO

"Then and Now: 1964-2004," Geffen Records. Reviewed by
Ron Rollins, Dayton Daily News.

3 1/2 stars

Sure, by now every rock fan on the planet either has
these songs in the collection or has long since
decided against adding them.

However, previous best-of packages by the Who might
not have been as tight as this collection, which is as
comprehensive as we're likely to get for a single-disc
recitation of an amazing band's career. Kids who are
just starting to toe-dip into classic-rock waters
might be the target audience, which isn't a bad thing.
They'll find much to love in the mod, protopunk
flailings of "I Can't Explain" and "My Generation,"
the operatic reach of the "Tommy"-era tunes, the
melodrama of "Behind Blue Eyes," the well-timed
bombast of "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the juvenile
playfulness of "Squeeze Box."

Meanwhile, a semi-reconstituted Who, with Ringo's kid
Zak Starkey on drums, joins together for two new
tunes: "Real Good Looking Boy " and "Old Red Wine."
The first reinterprets "I Can't Help Falling in Love
With You " and is only partly imaginative; the latter
is middle-aged sad.

Neither matches past Who brilliance, but I'm guessing
it's today's teenagers who would sense that soonest.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com