The Who By Any Other Name

TigerPurr1 at aol.com TigerPurr1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 25 03:40:20 CDT 2004

In a message dated 4/24/04 7:29:14 AM, thewho-request at igtc.com writes:

<< As far as Purple goes this is press not giving the whole story.  First of
all there is an "original" member Ian Paice.  Secondly, the line up that
made Purple famous was NOT the original line up, it was the Mark II line up.
There are so many line ups they are all given names Mark I, II, III, etc.
Currently, they are Mark VII.  >>

They're beginning to sound like a car.

My opinion on bands with missing orginal members is that the band names have
in the past forty years evolved into brand names and logos.  Very similar to
McDonald's and Coca-Cola.  We don't get upset when a new guy is mixing our
Coke, frying our french fries or the board of directors changes and insist the
company name be changed.  When there isn't one original member left, but the band
is playing the band's music - they're basically a cover band and it should be
noted the musicians aren't original.  When you have a band like the Who and
the majority of the music they are playing was originally created by the Who,
touring under that name isn't a crime.  If Roger and Pete are going to come out
and play a mixture of their solo work and a few Monkees' tunes - billing
themselves as the Who would be inappropriate.

Debbie
Tiger