Indecency vs. free speech (no Who)

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Wed Apr 21 17:17:18 CDT 2004

> One thing I fond bizarre is the fact that many, many Hollywood films rely on
> obscene swearing for dialogue, yet the US press and tv is possibly the most
> censored in the world.

I know, it's bizarre.  We Americans seem to make a big distinction between
the "free airwaves" & other forms of media.

Janet Jackson's tit was shown on CBS - a channel you only need a TV set
& an antenna to receive.  Howard Stern broadcasts on the free radio airwaves
which anyone can listen to.

Movies have ratings.  Cable television has to be purchased.  Not sure how
our press is more censored than yours is.  Do you mean your general press
contains more swearwords?

> it seems almost disappointing that such relatively common sense conclusions
> were drawn!

The book goes much deeper than my paltry summations imply.

> My concern is that the constant use of obscene swearwords coarsens
> societies, so that for example things like FCUK (French Connection UK)
> become acceptable as a logo on children's clothes.

Well, one thing's for sure:  If that's gonna happen, there's nothing you can do
about it.  Our ever-changing English language will roll right over you.

- SCHRADE in Akron

The Council For Secular Humanism
http://www.secularhumanism.org/