FCC indecency crackdown affecting The Who

Bruce bkawak at chartertn.net
Wed Apr 21 16:36:18 CDT 2004

> So, who produces these versions?  The record companies?  The radio
stations?
> Would it be possible for them to turn their unwelcome attention to a
classic
> like Who Are You?  Seems like they must come from the record companies,
> since they mute just the vocals, without interrupting the music, no?

Roger went into the studio and sang the one line "Who the hell are you" and
several hundred promo copies of the album were pressed for radio play. It
would seem that every copy made it into private hands and radio stations
played the regular version.
Although the single was edited in length I don't know if it is the clean
version or not.  Regardless, I have never geard the clean version anywhere
exept my turntable.

Bruce